Notice how things slow down during the hot summer months in Arizona? At the Franciscan Renewal Center many parishioners flee to cooler climates, and those who remain in Arizona sorely miss our collaborators who work with us on climate change issues. There is one thing, however, that we can continue to do as individuals – no government, no state, no city help needed. And that is recycling! The Recycling Committee, which is part of the Care for Creation Committee at the Casa, has tirelessly researched this subject and has presented their findings in events throughout the year. Recycling is one area that should never slow down, no matter what the weather. All that is needed is a strong sense of personal responsibility and care for the earth.
Have you ever tossed a plastic bag in the recycling bin and wondered if you were doing the right thing? There are so many types of plastics and sorting them properly seems so complicated! If so, the following information will help.
You can recycle the following bags if they are clean and dry:
- Bread bags, food storage bags, newspaper bags,
- Air pillows – those air-filled bags used in shipping,
- Case wrap – the plastic wrapped around packs of water bottles,
- Napkins, paper towels, bathroom tissue, diaper wrap packaging,
- Grocery and retail bags,
- Furniture and electronic wrap,
- Any bag that has the How2Recycle label. How2Recycle.info presents clear information about labeling.
What next now that everything is sorted? That’s easy! The following stores are partners in recycling plastic film – Safeway, Albertsons, Fry’s , Bashas’, Sprouts, Target.
Want to learn more about recycling plastics? Check out plasticfilmrecycling.org.